The Hop Farm
The name “The Hop Farm” echoes the original raison d’être for this property. It is named out of respect for the original owner, William Towner, born in Kent (England), who arrived in North Saanich in 1864 via Ontario and California, bringing hop plants with him. He planted them on this property, where they flourished in the fertile soil, were harvested, then hauled by horse-drawn wagons to the Sidney train station, from whence they were transported by train to several Victoria breweries.
This depth of history adds dimension to the farm as it is today and imbues it with a sense of solidity and purpose. Today, it is a property which provides a venue for anyone wanting to learn to ride capably, understand horse behaviours and learn to be safe around them.